Just. Three. More. Days. WOW! This challenge went by fast. And I think it was the group of people that participated. The group dynamic as a whole. The conversations.
With Leslie’s challenge, I would make a point to visit artists blogs. But that was a one-sided conversation. With friends, I may have checked back to read their response, but most often there just wasn’t time for that. It feels like there has been abundant interaction within the group. I think that’s great!
I was interrupted a couple of times while I was working on this piece. There are some things I would have done differently. I was loose in the beginning. But the paint dried, and it became too detailed. Done for now, and moving on. It was good practice!
I goofed. I forgot to add the purple pears. I had already painted most of the pads before I noticed. There was only a small area of clean paper left. And so, only one pear.
If I were to name this, it would be the loneliest number. Haha. I also just noticed, I did not outline this in pen. Hmm. Should I or shouldn’t I?
Inspired again by Carla’s wacky florals. Haha. I found the tutorial after I did the painting. The point, for me, is to loosen up. To not be so tight, so literal. I admire Carla’s playfulness.
I used a stencil with Inktense pencil. Painted with thinned acrylic. Then I used the stencil to outline some of the shapes, again with Inktense. The shadow areas this created are more viable in person. I added the vase, collage, and painted it with watercolor.
I scribbled the blooms with Caran d’Ache crayons. Wet some areas. Added pen details to the purple, and used watercolor pencils on the orange blooms. (Thanks Nelvia!) I added the green, (leaves) which turned out to be too light. So I added scribbles to that. I wasn’t really happy with this. But I added splatter, and now I feel it is not a total loss. Haha.
Trying to be a little wacky and loose. Maybe I shouldn’t have made the Crysanthmums perfectly round. And the green line on the top flower is too light and too close in value to the rest of the bloom. I really like this color combination. I’ll have to use it again 🙂
So pleased with how this turned out. The yellow ochre and Naples yellow mingled nicely. The vase dried with interesting lights and darks. I made the cardinal mistake, of walking away while the table was still wet. I didn’t think to take a photo, but the first version was a patchy mess.
I went back in with a wet brush to soften things, and when that did not work, I added more Shiraz. While still wet, I dabbed areas with a tissue to lift some of the color. I am very happy with the result. Thought about naming this “Tres Mujeres”, three women.
This was the view today. Mingus was dwarfed by the clouds.