I goofed. I forgot to add the purple pears. I had already painted most of the pads before I noticed. There was only a small area of clean paper left. And so, only one pear.
If I were to name this, it would be the loneliest number. Haha. I also just noticed, I did not outline this in pen. Hmm. Should I or shouldn’t I?
Inspired again by Carla’s wacky florals. Haha. I found the tutorial after I did the painting. The point, for me, is to loosen up. To not be so tight, so literal. I admire Carla’s playfulness.
I used a stencil with Inktense pencil. Painted with thinned acrylic. Then I used the stencil to outline some of the shapes, again with Inktense. The shadow areas this created are more viable in person. I added the vase, collage, and painted it with watercolor.
I scribbled the blooms with Caran d’Ache crayons. Wet some areas. Added pen details to the purple, and used watercolor pencils on the orange blooms. (Thanks Nelvia!) I added the green, (leaves) which turned out to be too light. So I added scribbles to that. I wasn’t really happy with this. But I added splatter, and now I feel it is not a total loss. Haha.
Trying to be a little wacky and loose. Maybe I shouldn’t have made the Crysanthmums perfectly round. And the green line on the top flower is too light and too close in value to the rest of the bloom. I really like this color combination. I’ll have to use it again 🙂
Saturday night was the Art On 45 silent auction in Ruston Louisiana. The event was held at Rumo’s Barber Shop. All proceeds went to NCLAC’s program at the Boys and Girls Club. This was a juried show. My first!
NCLAC is receiving a $3,300 check for their outreach program with the Boys & Girls Club, and $400 worth of fine art supplies were donated for them. There was no admission fee, but attendees were asked to donate fine art supplies.
The biddings started at $50 for each piece. 10 pieces received one or two bids. 28 pieces had between 3 and 8 bids, and 2 pieces 12 or 13 bids. 10 pieces sold for $60 or under. 14 pieces sold for between $70 and $90. 13 pieces received biddings between $100 and $175. The highest bids were between $240 and $275 for three pieces.
17 artists were new to ART ON 45 this year, and many of them also new to the audience, because those artists were not local or because they have just started showing.
It was a a wonderful community event. Food and drinks were donated. An aweseome DJ livened things up, and there were small sculptures on display. Posters from all four annual Art on 45 events were for sale as well.
Reminded me of a feather, or wings. Which do you see?
Moon Over Mingus. SMD
Brilliant sky on a cold winter night.
Snow falling. 12-28-18
I went to town to run errands the other day. Cold. Dark clouds in all directions.
Stopped at a light, I noticed a few tiny snowflakes falling. Hooray!
Barely 20 minutes later, and blue skies dominated. Here and there, patches of snow falling. Looked more like smoke rising. First time I have seen that. Very cool.
See the snow falling?
Art On 45
Fellow artist, and good friend Christiane Drieling invited me to take part in her annual Art ON 45 event. From the group page: “ART ON 45” is a juried art project – artists are asked to paint/draw/collage on a 45rpm record and donate it for a silent auction to benefit a local organization. For the upcoming fourth edition, Christiane has chosen NCLAC (North Central Louisiana Art Council) to be the beneficiary because of their commitment to establish a valuable art program at the local Boys And Girls Club.
I left this to the last-minute. Partly because I was slightly intimidated by the substrate. Mostly though, due to my still lagging energy level. But what fun it was!
The submission guidelines suggested using primer on the vinyl record. Many articles I found on the subject showed a lengthy, involved priming process. I took a chance, and skipped all that. I cleaned the record. And started by using FolkArt Multi-Surface craft paint. Made for tin, plaster, terracotta, rigid plastic, paper mache, fabric, canvas, concrete, wood, glass & ceramics. It took 5 or 6 thin coats to cover the dark record. I painted both sides and made sure to seal the edge as well.
I was stumped on what to paint. A mandala? A pour? A musical subject? Finally I just went with… what I do. I pressed a textured paper towel into wet paint, to add texture to the table. Stenciled the pattern on the vase. Used “bits” of acrylic skins to add roughness to the wall. Here the raised areas show up as white spots.
My first try at the blooms leaned towards sunflowers. At the end I noticed I had neat little rows of buds. Never good. I tried again, and am happy with the results. I used Posca pen, first time, and there are a couple of bloopers. But I left them as is. Under the vase, the pen skipped. Gave me three neat little lines. Kinda cool that accident. And mimics the table pattern. Under my signature, another splatter. Resembles a twig tip.
One more accident. I melted the vinyl while drying the paint. For the record, vinyl melts fast! I used a heat gun to dry the flowers, at a safe distance. A few seconds too long, and I had a nice little, unplanned ripple. While waiting for the paint to dry completely, I decided I liked the defect. I took the heat gun to two more areas, and let the edge warp slightly.
Fits in with the slightly rustic feel of the piece. And makes sense, in my mind. If this was hanging on the adobe wall I painted, the heat of the desert would surely do the same. In time.
Turned out the satin sealer I used is really a high gloss finish. NOT happy with that. Had to get it in the mail, so gloss it is. It does however highlight the texture of the record.