Sunflowers on the side. 6 x 8 1/2 watercolor and ink. 2015 Sheila Delgado
This was a struggle. It was going smoothly, until the last step. And from there, I just could not get it right. I had planned on a background that would suggest foliage behind the stems. Something soft and lacking detail. Below is the first attempt. It looked a lot better in person, but still was not… pleasing. (Clicking on the image description will take you to an attachment page if the image is not loading here.)
For some reason, none of the scans were working for me. Usually I have to make minimal adjustments in Photoshop, to get the scanned image to look like the original. Even in the final image above, the colors are not a true representation.
The sky is richer, I used a glaze of ultramarine to add some variation and depth. The yellows look flat and cold, and in reality there are three different tones, and overall the blooms are much warmer. Only the leaves and stems look like the original.
Sure I had destroyed this piece, I decided to go dark, and just cover up all that awfulness. Hide the evidence, right. I even considered covering the sky in darkness. Going straight for graphic. I wasn’t happy with the result, and thought about ripping it up.
Next I washed off most of the Indigo.I didn’t have a clue what to do. But I realized I really liked the contrast of the blue with the blooms, and leaves. So I tried again with the indigo. But instead of adding the color to dry paper, I wet each section first, and dropped in color from a wet brush.
Actually there at least three other attempts in between. The paper really got a work out. Still unhappy with my results, I digitally remove the cloud. I also digitally cropped almost an inch off the left side, and the top. I think that made all the difference. ( I have since edited the original.) So the name, Sunflowers On The Side no longer fits. Maybe I should name it Survivors.
Wishing you great success in your creative efforts!