I have kept up with the #WorldWatercolorMonth daily painting. I’m just behind on posting. I’ve gone to painting two pieces on one 5.5 x 8 sheet of paper. I will still be two short, and for those I will use the backside of earlier days.
These are a mix of watercolors, neocolors, and watercolor pencils. #14 was botched, so I cut it down digitally to a bookmark. On #15, the vase and flowers are tiny for the size of paper. So again, I cropped it for a better composition.
Thinking that I need to use the pencils more often. I really like the texture the marks leave behind. Yup, I was right. 30 days of painting goes by much faster now that I have done 100. We are already at the halfway point! What?
I goofed and I am realizing now that this journal only has 22 sheets. Not 44. Some of these will be on the backside. The pages are sturdy like cardstock, so I am pretty sure there will be some mixed media or even collage.
Ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wall, ninety-nine bottles of beer. That has been in my head all week. I don’t even like beer. Today is the day. Day #100. This afternoon will find me working on Mingus number one hundred.
Today’s sky was a wreck. I managed to save it. There was a cloud on the right. A stripe really. I had gone in and removed paint with a clean brush. It didn’t work.
I let the paint dry. Not completely, but almost. I re-wet the ugly area, and put paint back in, and worked it back and forth until there was a more even wash there. If you look just right of center, you can see a hint of white left. Along the right edge, some of the paint stained, but luckily, it gives the effect of distant clouds forming.
I didn’t mean to leave white along the bottom edge. I wet the paper before I added paint to that hill. I don’t think that works on a landscape this size. It is more dramatic on a portrait orientation. I AM happy though, with how the paint edge uneven. I know I brushed water on in a straight line, and that would not have worked at all.
There is some nice granulation going on. Along the dark edges of the drips, and in the dark along the bottom. I did not use the granulating medium, so that was a nice surprise. It is subtle, but the texture adds interest.
I watched a short video today, where the artist haphazardly added paint to his sky, leaving white areas for clouds. I often do that, but I plan the direction a little more. He made a lot of vertical stokes, and I use more horizontals. Well, on #10 I tried it his way. Not completely happy with it. I lost most of the hard edges, trying to make sense out of the negative, white, shapes.
I have also had a hard time getting the yellow to scan correctly. In the coneflowers, and in #9, it looks much lighter than it does in person. I warmed these (above) up by adding some Quin gold. Then some yellow ochre. I did not want to add orange, so I added a bit of magenta. Well, too many colors going on, they turned out a bit muddy. So lesson learned. Again. Ha ha ha ha.
Overall, happy with both. Happy with the practice. Happy with the chance to learn.