This post has been sitting half finished since December. I was going to write about my COVID experience. But I am still mid journey. And for some reason, I have not been able to put that story to paper.
For now, here are the wonky little works I did while in the hospital. They are in my 4 x 6 sketch book. Not on watercolor paper. Christine Brooks made the suggestion, to pass the time. I wasn’t thinking about art at that moment. And at first, it was very hard to concentrate. I would draw, and then paint later.
I put together a list of supplies, and had them dropped off at the hospital. I forgot some essentials. Like an eraser. LOL. I had a larger sketchbook, but 4 x 6 was about all I could manage. I altered a few of these in Photoshop. Blurred a snake plant, to soften. Added a few straight lines. Mostly, they are left untouched.
As for an update. I am plugging along. I am doing great on the whole. My mobility is still mostly limited. My O2 still drops dangerously low. I can get to the restroom on my own now. Without the walker. And I can get up from the seat unaided. Huge milestones! Haha. Sometimes my O2 stays level, until after I have made it back to the bedroom. Then it drops drastically. Fortunately, I often recover more quickly now than before. In the beginning, The O2 would drop as soon as I stood up. Another milestone. Of sorts.
But every silver lining, I am going to claim. Haha. And thank God for!
We dream to give ourselves hope. To stop dreaming—well, that’s like saying you can never change your fate. Amy Tan
I simply can’t build my hopes on a foundation of confusion, misery and death… I think… peace and tranquility will return again. Anne Frank
Everything that could go wrong, did. Haha. I worked all night trying to fix this and that. And just when I thought I was done. Another problem. I picked a white, that turned out to be a satin. Nope. Looked sticky. Sticky paint? Haha. Well, no worries. Decided white wasn’t right. OK. Time for bed.
Starting today, right after breakfast no less! (First for the month.) I mixed a buff and sand color for the background. Yes, that will work. Changed the terra cotta pots to a desert rose. Added a glaze to the leaves. This helped to tone down the mess of a yellow paint pen that I had used to outline the forms. DIdn’t realize that was glossy paint.
I left the yellow on the snake plant, top. Felt it worked as the golden stripes some of the leaves have. Added a subtle pattern. Bubble wrap. Too subtle. May go back in and bring it out just a bit more. But that means repainting the entire background and then applying the pattern.
Had added texture and scratch marks, hoping to add the aged effect I had in the Blue vase pieces. There is a dark blue base and I tried sanding some top layer away to reveal it. Just didn’t work. I revealed the white gesso instead. Haha.
Happy enough with them now. That Kiwi green is a little too neon. But it keeps them from being too muted. The board lent itself to a postcard layout. So I thought I would create something clean and graphic, for just that.
Thanks so much for taking the time to visit me here, and to let me know you stopped by. Happy creating to you!
You don’t drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there. Robert G. Allen
Intelligence is not to make no mistakes, but quickly to see how to make them good. Bertolt Brecht
What we call experience is often a dreadful list of ghastly mistakes. J. Chalmers da Costa