Tag Archives: #day1

February Creative Gathering

Day 1, Ranunculus, 8 x 8 Acrylic on paper. © 2022 Sheila Delgado.
Day 1, Ranunculus, 8 x 8 Acrylic on paper. © 2022 Sheila Delgado.

Woo Whoo!
Everyone is so excited!
I’M excited.

The 30-Day Creative Gathering has entered it’s 4th year. Bravo and congratulations to all of the participating artists who have helped to make the gathering so successful! A handful of new members have joined us for our sixth event. Hooray!

Today I was in the mood for subtle texture. It is dark and gloomy outside. Looks like snow. Only it won’t snow. I think that may have influenced my soft palette.

I’m off to start day two!

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way.
An artist says a hard thing in a simple way.
Charles Bukowski

Be willing to be a beginner every single morning.
Meister Eckhart

September 30-Day Creative Gathering

Ranunculus. Day 1, 8 x 8 on paper. © 2021 Sheila Delgado.
Ranunculus. Day 1, 8 x 8 on paper. © 2021 Sheila Delgado.

A load of laundry.
A load of pillows.
Did dishes.
Finished organizing art supplies.
Sampled paint colors. Eliminated some choices and grouped by value.
Painted a palette grouping the values.
Did a mani/pedi.

You know what this was. Procrastination. Haha.
Late last night I finally started painting. DUH. If I had done the first part in the afternoon, I might have finished in time.

The first layer is a napkin from Ikea. I thought I had separated the layers, but after I Placed it, I noticed there was one more layer. So instead of dark outlines, I had soft ones. I used matte medium top and bottom, so that took a long time to dry.

This morning, I cut the vase out of scrapbook paper, glued that on, and sat staring with no clue what to do next. Haha.

I didn’t have a vision or a plan. I was inspired by some playful florals I found on Pinterest, and Instagram. And I feel like I missed the mark. That is exactly what this needs. A few bold marks. So. A work in progress.

I think I need to add some bright marks, and I need to brighten the leaves. I used stamps, ink, acrylics, posco pen and watercolor.

The background was originally a pale turquoise. It seemed too light, the vase was not standing out. So I laid a wash of Inktense over it, and dabbed it off. I left it slightly darker around the edge of the vase. The splatters turned out much large than I wanted. The blooms are so dark, adding the light might not be such a bad thing.

Early evening. Time to start number two.