The sky in these first two is Winsor & Newton Professional watercolor Cerulean Blue, Series 3. This is the Cerulean I placed in my revamped sketch box. I’m not liking this blue. It seems dull, and a little sad. Maybe it was just me sad, that this color was not the vibrant color I had used on all my Mingus skies.
You might not see a difference here. The fact that there is so much white in the sky, is a sign of how well, it does NOT scan. I scanned these three times. And then spent time in Photoshop trying to get the sky blue to show true. On the paintings, there is very little white in the sky
There’s blue sky! Another difference I can see now, is that the Cerulean in the first two, is more sedimentary. You can see the texture of the paper more, because the paint has settled in the valleys. Here, the skies are smooth and clean. And BLUE.
This month has flown by. I am so glad I did not pass up the opportunity to continue daily painting. Painting in a journal made it so much less intimidating. These were “quick” sketches, not full paintings.
I know for a fact, that I will not paint daily next month. My to-do list needs attention before the September 30 in 30 challenge. I do have a few in mind though, that I want to get done. Anyone else planning on doing the September challenge?
I shared this sunrise on Instagram, some of you have already seen it. WOW! It just knocked my socks off again. Ha-ha. I took way too many shots of this. And the first one was the best. How lucky was that.
Enjoy your day! Thanks so much for stopping by!
Starting to have mixed feelings about the paper in this journal. I tried to add more color to the bottom right corner of #22. I didn’t realize the first layer was not dry, and when I went in with more, the paper started to pill, as if I had scrubbed it. It’s hard to see in the corner, but you can see the effect in the shadow under the vase. The color is separating.
After 100 days, it was time for a good scrub and clean. I scrubbed my brush washer cups, scrubbed the box that holds them. Cleaned the table top. The rinse cups are plastic, and stain easily. I clean them often with soap and water to get rid of the slimy film on the inside. I scrub them less often. I soaked them in bleach, and then scrubbed with Bon Ami.
I also emptied and cleaned my Sketcher’s Palette box (Winsor & Newton Cotman). I wanted to switch out some of the colors I rarely use. I was painting with scraps on the bottom, of about half the colors. I had dabs of my most used colors on mixing palettes, instead of refilling the half pans.
I washed out the pans first. I had to let the box dry, before I was able to pull them out. The spilled paint acts as a glue. The lid comes off easily. Paint gets in where the lid and bottom overlap.
This set includes: Alizarin Crimson, Cadmium Red Pale, Burnt Sienna, Burnt Umber, Yellow Ochre, Cadmium Yellow Hue, Cadmium Yellow Pale Hue, Cobalt Blue Hue, Ultramarine, Sap Green, Viridian Hue, and Chinese White.
I eliminated Viridian, White, Cad. Red Pale, and Cobalt. I do use White, and Cobalt. When I need those, I can dab a little on a mixing palette. The Cobalt and Ultramarine are so similar, I think one in the set is enough.
The palette colors are now: Burnt Sienna, Cad. Yellow, Naples Yellow, Indigo, Ultramarine, Burnt Umber, Sap Green, Cad. Orange, Alizarin Crimson, Bordeaux, and Cerulean. I have mixed Winsor Newton Cotman, Winsor Newton Professional, Grumbacher and Daniel Smith paints. This list is in no way complete and is not balanced with warm and cool shades of each hue.
I know I need a larger palette. I just haven’t decided which style, or how many pans. So many choices! I am doing a lot of research, and waiting for a sale. Ha ha ha.