Think I am ready to count the flower as done. Apologies for the bad image. It is breaking up a bit. Larry suggested that the large dark spots were conflicting with the yellow shapes in the center of the flower. I was only concerned with the two on the bottom. Looking again, I noticed just how distracting they were. Four corners of a square. So I painted over, added some new smaller splatter to fill the voids, and I am happy with the result. Thank you Larry!
And thanks to everyone who shared suggestions!
To the next small start, I added Shiraz Inktense lines. I see hills, snow. sky. Still considering adding textures. Had that idea in the beginning. Might be more to come with this one.