Daring whispered in my ear today.
“Hey, wouldn’t it be fun to do a pastel to celebrate Earth Day!”
“YEH!”, I thought.
Never mind that I do not know much about pastel painting. It felt only right to work with my hands, to get them dirty. Pastels get you dirty. This is only my third ever, pastel painting.
I spent almost three hours this afternoon working on what you are about to see. Ok, maybe more like two hours, because I was checking on the split pea soup, and changing loads of laundry too.
This is small, five inches square. It is a good thing I really had fun working on this. Otherwise I would be really, REALLY, REALLY upset.
I apologize for the horrible photos. This is a quick look at the process. I was happy with the result. That is, until I decided to seal it, so I would be able to scan it for this post.
Brilliant, bloody brilliant Sheila.
It didn’t help, that right when I started to spray sealant, the wind kicked up and spread a fine dusting of little yellow specks from the trees nearby.
I started with a watercolor wash. Then a few layers of pastel to get the basic shapes. I changed my mind, and decided the leaves looked better on the side, instead of the bottom. Little by little, I added details. I used Prismacolor NUPASTELS.
Here it is, finished and semi-show-able.
And here it is, not ready for prime time.
I know. Awful.
So there you have it. My Earth Day experiment.
Oh, and here is the photo that started it all.
Hope you had a fabulous Earth Day!