This postcard is a save. I started with burnt umber gouache and plastic wrap. The color dried to a yucky, blech brown, and I had no idea what I could do to make it better. I got the idea of barnacles, and used negative painting to bring out the shapes. Still blech. The tube of red acrylic was sitting in front of me… BAM.
I added green, blue, yellow. I used brushes, and embossing tools. The embossing tools make great, uniform shapes. The yellow dots on white were too close in value, so I added a black outline to get them to pop. I also outlined the card in black because I know it will be shown on a white wall
Finally I added copper dots to catch the light. The white dots are glossy acrylic. A mistake really, I picked up the wrong bottle, but I like the shine. I think this card would look great in the Visual Aids 17th ANNUAL POSTCARDS FROM THE EDGE.
It’s beginning to look a lot like ChRiStMaS.